Monday, July 20, 2009

"Servant"?

If anybody would know a lot about being changed up and serving someone, my guess would be the Apostle Paul. On numerous house arrests or imprisonments, the guy knows what it's like to "serve".

He also knows a thing or two about being incredibly blunt. In the first chapter of Galatians, Paul comes right out and says "If anyone preaches any other Good News than the one you welcomed, let that person be cursed" (Verse 9)

It's hard to love different people when that's supposed to be your response. If they teach something different, may they be cursed. What I would say is the most important part of this chapter and what I would argue that entire letter to Galatia is the rationale he gives subsequent to this.

"Obviously I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant"

Who are you really trying to please? Are you trying to please your friends by drinking yourself to a point where you think you're a cooler person to be around? Are you trying to please people by using the kind of language that (as my father would say) is "Unintelligent and a poor vocabulary"?

Or you are you trying to serve the one person that served you through life and death by dying to yourself, and truly living?

Being a servant doesn't seem so bad.

No comments: