Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Living to die? Dying to live?

"For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die." Phil 1:20

It's an amazing accomplishment to know that in someone's death, they can actually make as much of an impact if not more than when they were alive. Since his death, Michael Jackson has sold over 2 BILLION albums. If he's really still alive, this was the greatest hoax the world has ever seen. Much like if Christ is really did, that would be an even larger hoax. Paul says that even in his own death, the life he had led would bring honor to Christ. Can we honestly say that about ourselves?

"For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don't know which is better. I'm torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live."

After losing a good amount of the mentors I would consider most noble and respectable already in life, I can honestly say your life can shine bright. However, your death can shine brighter. Sadly, nobody remembers the charitable, kind, good spirited man who picks a fight with the wrong person. Then again, people often remember those young in their pursuit towards caring for the world who leave us when we're not ready.

The difference is is the consistency. Paul hits the nail on the head and hopefully reminds us to keep hammering away when he says, "I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die."

Keep hammering away, just as you have. And expect, and hope that you never have a sore thumb.

No comments: