Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sacrifice

Col 1:24-25 -- I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church. God has given me the responsibility of serving his church by proclaiming his entire message to you.

Often there are times when I read two verses that are next to each other and wonder why God pushed the person to write them in that order.

Why next to each other?
What do they have to do with each other?

Paul quotes something similar in his second letter to Timothy, who is actually helping him write this letter to the Colossians, in the second chapter:

"If we die with him, we will also live with him. If we endure hardship, we will reign with him."

This is the entire message of the gospel, which is even included in the third chapter of Paul's second correspondence to Timothy that anybody who even holds the desire to live a godly life will be persecuted.

"So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ. That's why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ's mighty power that works within me."

Paul counted it such a blessing to be persecuted in the trips he took. The partial message is everlasting life. The "entire message" includes a persecution and hatred from the world that clearly Paul was overjoyed to possess.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

I have been studying verse 24 this week. I am a slow learner so I am still trying to grasp. But, the devotion I use for Colossians is awesome. The Hope of Glory by Sam Storms.