Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 5 - "Love is a waiting game. Time is enough to make the best fall apart"

For those just joining us, read Day 1's caveat.

First of all, let me say that undoubtedly my favorite band / music is anything Seth Roberts does. Yes this is a shameless plug but if you doubt, go to www.lakesband.com. The main reason I'm so drawn to it is because so much of it seems like this I would write but never could.


The music coincides with what I've learned in large part this week. I will say unashamedly that I love my friends. I love the people I work with. I love my family. I don't say I love them like Larisa Oleynik loves her Prada backpack in "10 Things I Hate About You". I mean I love my friends, I want the best for them, and if you are in my life to any degree which shows my concern or pursuit, I will probably sacrifice any and all things to build that relationship.

Patience, however, is not my strong suit. I want things now. In fact, if I have to finish the sentence and I don't have it, it's too long. You probably relate in some area whether it's loving fast food, always wanting to watch your favorite show but can't wait 6 minutes for it to be on, freaking out during a commercial break, or the biggest problem: wanting to text someone you just sent a text message to 3.5 minutes ago just to make sure they actually got the first text.

Text messaging has done two wonderful things: it has given us the ability to show people how much we care in the easiest way that has an opportunity to convey what love we can in at least a somewhat meaningful way and turned our society into instant gratification fiends.

I realized in a conversation (read: set of text messages back and form. not synonyms) today that I am typically quicker to voice a brash opinion over text messages which is actually the exact opposite of what I should aim for. James 1:19 says:
Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry." (AMP)
I don't see anywhere in there where it says "Just say whatever you want." This does not mean that I will be completely giving up text messages like I have some music any time soon. This does mean, however, that I will be answering text messages slower from here on if I don't just call you in response. I hope you'll be patient

After all, it's a hard thing, patience.

No comments: