Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 1 - "And if you're like me you need hope, coffee, and melody"

To catch some of you up, I have decided that I will not be listening to any secular musicians throughout the end of January and February. For those who make much of nothing, let me go on the record and say: there is nothing inherently wrong with music by people not following Christ. Honestly, often times "secular music" has a very similar message as "Christian music" does. My only stipulation during this is that the musicians themselves are following Christ regardless of genre or message.

Warning: Call it cheesy, but I really do believe the song in your ears is usually the song in your heart. Also what you feel is the song in your heart. So this next month(ish) I will be making reference to the "song in my heart" frequently.

Now that we're all caught up...

I have listened to a lot of Gabe Dixon, MUTE MATH, Hillsong and a lot of Robbie Seay today. The main one being Robbie Seay's album, "Give Yourself Away"...


"New Day" and "Shine Your Light On Us" have awoken a very real idea with the aid of James 1. See, I hate the phrase "I understand". I hate it because in my past I have only been told "I understand" when the person just wants me to shut up. While I may have had a very similar circumstance, in all honesty I would be kidding myself if I thought I knew exactly what you were going through. However, should that really keep me from trying to?

You have needs just like I do, and there is a particular group of people James talks about having needs as well...

"External religious worship [religion as it is express in outward acts] that is pure and unblemished in the sight of God the Father is this: to visit and help and care for the orphans and widows in their affliction and need..." James 1:27a (AMP)

Why is it so easy to forget about them? Quite honestly, I have no idea how that could even begin to play out in my life. However, I do know that there are hurting people in my life that I can relate to, or even help. The words on my lips as I go to sleep are ones I hope you start singing:

"Yesterday's gone and today is waiting on you to show your face..."
"It might not be the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it's a new day..."
"I'm gonna sing the song, to let you know that you're not alone..."

So it's a new day. Think of how different our world would be if we could show just 1 person that it's a new day. Yesterday is long gone. Tomorrow might bring pain. Today is all we have. Take care of each other.

We will see the song I'm singing in the morning.

1 comment:

Rosiere said...

Good insight. Let me know if you need more selection.