Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 14 - "My heart is set on a pilgrimage to heaven's own bright King"

For those just joining us, read Day 1's caveat.

Yes, I needed a 2 day break. :)

I don't know how to explain the large amount of things God is teaching me right now. I will say, however, that God is good, He is holy, and sometimes to get to God we have to wade through a lot of junk. It's funny, because many of the same scriptures that spoke to me early in my encounter with Christ still hit me between the eyes now, just in a different way. The same way with music.

Charlie Hall seems to be a musician that God uses consistently. As my friend Chris pointed out yesterday, I am a very emotional person and I seem to get crazy joy from some of the truths that are in Charlie Hall's lyrics. That sentence may not make sense considering the song below

And on the road to beautiful
My seasons always change
But my life is spent on loving You
To know You in Your power and pain
For most people, a somber song would pull them down. Now, for me, it does in some settings. However! Think about how true these lyrics ring out! They may be very Ecclesiastical, but there are times for weeping, for singing, for dancing, for mourning. There are different seasons, and with each one brings a very unique perspective to God!
They who sow in tears shall reap in joy and singing. He who goes forth bearing seed and weeping [at needing his precious supply of grain for sowing] shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. - Psalm 126:5-6 (AMP)
I'm not sure that I would say there can't be joy without tears, but there certainly can't be reaping without sowing. I just said to my friend Andy today that in my finite mind, good and evil have to exist to understand either. Regardless if that is true or not, I know that I know the joy of God from the pain I have experienced. The title of this post speaks of a focus on higher things. The subsequent line says "So in faltering or victory, I will always sing!"

I hope that while you're reaping or sowing, you're singing. And sing loudly.

No comments: