Friday, January 2, 2009

As Cities Burn

Normally I would think it corny to post song lyrics... but I think these are things we all need to hear. These are all from As Cities Burn's latest release, "Come Now Sleep" They're all taken from various songs. The cries for the Grace of God are unmistakable and endearing. May we all cry for God's continual Grace this much. Maybe we would love him more; maybe we would love each other more.

Cause I was a pharisee,
I never saw my need for grace;
Then your love came to me
stood next to mine, and I saw that I was poor.

They say that good boys walk straight on white lines.
Good boys keep their livers clean,
And smoke out of their lungs.
'Cause it's all about what you've done,
Good boys don't make mistakes to learn from.

Grace make your way to the well,
To those who deserve it.
After all they've earned it.
But vain, it's in vain,
'Cause they don't need it.

we've got prices on our heads
and millstones around our necks
we try to live forgiven but they won't let us forget

forget about being honest
forget about being passionate
wear that smile like you feel it
even when you don't
forget about being honest
forget about being passionate
i think they forgot about Jesus
seeking us out

Is your love really Love?
Is my love really Love?
I think our love isn't Love,
Unless it's Love to the end.

Is your god really God?
Is my god really God?
I think our god isn't God,
If he fits inside our heads.

If I make it to heaven
I may be as bloody as hell.
Would you still take me?
I'm afraid that you might say,
"Depart from me, I never knew you."

I'm sure if you wanted to stop love,
You could just untie your end and let it go.
But, my God, you don't.
Yeah, I think I love you for it.

[a song about his friend Timothy dying]
Tell me I'm only dreaming.
Tell me he's just sleeping.
And when morning comes,
We'll both wake up to see the sun,
And love that's enough to keep our friends alive.


Sweet hearts of love and evangelism. The sweet and sometimes screaming melodies showing that any sound without love would not be as sweet. Cause I was a pharisee too... and I have realized that I am poor. The closer I get to the riches of God the poorer I see that I am. I hope that I am more poor tomorrow than I am today. That God may give abundantly, and that in my life I may live with riches that are not of this world and will never perish. That I will know my life and its blessings will outlast any words I have said or deeds I have done. And I forever hope that he gives me life and that I live in abundantly and in a manner worthy of the good news of Jesus Christ dying because he loves me.

John 10:10
Phil 1:27
1 Thes 2:12-13

No comments: