Monday, August 18, 2008

Today is brought to you by the number 3.

For the number of people today that almost involved me in a traffic accident.

#1 being a freshman that was backing up out of a space and looking right and not left...
#2 being a junior (but he was from new york, so infinitely worse of a driver than any freshman save a freshman from new york) who was not looking AT ALL when he was backing up
#3 a vapid looking woman who decided even though it was dark and she could probably hear a car at 30mph and see headlights coming around the blind turn 10 feet to her left, she was going to step off a curb and not look at all (and she was on the phone, which does not make her less aware but funny when she screams as I almost explode her body into bones and blood).

My tires are probably a little more worn down now than they were yesterday...


But anywho, this all to say that Liberty University (the world's most EXCIIITING university) is back in session. With all the hooplah that comes along with it (most of it being pretty fabulous), it brings along thousands of the worst drivers in the world (seeing as we have many international students, I can make this lofty hyperbole).

I'm not saying if you attend Liberty University you're a bad driver. I'm not even saying that if you attend Liberty University you're going to hit somebody or get in an accident of some kind. However, there is something vaguely deja vu enducing about kids whose choice path of icnreasing other people's prayer lives is with their automobiles. The funny thing is, the incoming freshman are just as worse drivers by the end of the year as they are at the beginning, which stumps the old notion that the "I can't drive to keep my salvation" syndrome was from a direct influence of Pastor Jerry Falwell Sr, whom on many occasions ran people over with his car, pedestrian and drivers alike.

All I'm saying is that with all the "Not I, but Christ", "Don't let the car fool you, my treasure is in heaven", "What Would Jesus Drive?" bumper stickers, and easily identifiable parking decals and other Alumni or University Promotional stickers, decals, window flags, etcetera out there... why don't we actually drive the drive instead of just sticking a piece of paper on our cars and hoping somebody comes to Jesus by that Christian with the Thomas Road Baptist Church decal on their car that cut them off in traffic?

And I apologize to the person that girl was talking to on the phone when I almost hit her... I'm sure her scream didn't feel too pleasant in your ear. You should tell her if she's going to be stepping off curbs blindly to just call you later if she's going to be screaming. How frightfully rude. Hope you weren't in the middle of a sentence.

Drew.

No comments: